Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Free Write From Class

After being given the following quote I was asked to respond with what this quote tells me about democracy and what it means to me. The quote I received was... 

"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." - Louis Dembitz Brandeis 

What I think this quote is trying to say about democracy is that democracy involves shared - or common wealth. That if the majority of wealth is divided among a small group and not the group as a whole, then it is no longer democratic. You can't have privatized wealth and be democratic. 

I'm not sure what to think of this quote, I think I agree. But I'd like to know what context the quote was in. I was also wondering what kind of government would it become if the wealth was unevenly distributed...What do you think?

1 comment:

Coolioshmo said...

i do wonder what democracy has to do with equality. the fact that some people are rich and most are not since according to John McCain rich is making 5 million a year... and it does seem like democracy is falling apart. i don't know if we could make it more equal though, that would be leaning towards communism which is not very good, as we studied last year with China.